Opera web standards curriculum feedback please!
Posted: 07 March 2009 01:23 PM   Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-02-26

My web standards article course - the Opera web standards curriculum - is referenced in many areas of the Interact curriculum, and is also available in it’s entirety at http://www.opera.com/wsc.

I’m aiming to provide a complete set of teaching articles to learn all the basics of front end development from, and I’ve already got a lot of feedback, but I’d love more - please check it out and let me know if you think it is missing anything, and what else you’d like to see covered.

I’m planning on including follow on courses on topics such as mobile web development, SVG, HTML 5 and CSS 3. These will start to appear later on in the year.

Posted: 16 March 2009 10:45 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-03-16

Chris,

I have been reading through the WSC and must say that you and everyone involved have done an amazing job with it so far! I look forward to further updates to it. I point everyone to it that is either a beginner, who has questions about certain subjects covered in the WSC, and people brushing up on their web knowledge.

It’s been a fantastic resource and I look forward to steering more people there to read and learn from it. Thank you!

Posted: 16 March 2009 11:22 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-02-26

Thanks a lot Todd!

Posted: 01 July 2009 01:29 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-06-30

Hi! Nice to “see” you!

I have integrated the Opera Web Standards Curriculum into the online class I teach XHTML and CSS. It is the introductory course for the Web Design program at Cerro Coso Community College and is foundational for students as they progress through the program. I love it! I had a hard time finding a good text book HTML and CSS the way I wanted it covered, with an emphasis on standards, so I opted for a good text on CSS supplemented with your curriculum for the XHTML portion.

I do add in my own lectures as “cliff notes” versions of your articles, which can be a little intimidating for those that have no experience whatsoever. It is a bit of a challenge to serve students with such a wide range of experience and ability but I do the best I can.

If I could make one request, it would be that you make available .pdf versions that are “clean” and easy to print. I think that some students have a hard time reading the articles directly on the web site.

Anyway, good work! and thanks….

Posted: 15 September 2009 01:35 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-08-25

Hi Chris

Nice to see all you thought you knew about web and html set up in such a reader-friendly article. Have to spend a few more hours on the sofa to read it in its entity though.