DOM Scripting 1
Posted: 07 March 2009 02:25 PM   Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-02-26

Hi all!

I have been the lead developer of the course DOM Scripting 1. Of course I would appreciate any feedback. Please speak your mind!

Posted: 16 March 2009 06:51 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-03-16

Hi Lars. Here’s my feedback:

* I’m surprised to see no mention of XMLHttpRequest in the DOM Scripting 1 curriculum. This is a defacto standard at this point and is what is behind the resurgence in JavaScript.
* No mention of Ajax and architectural patterns behind it? I’m surprised.
* I agree that Unobtrusive JavaScript is important. However, it is not a silver bullet and needs to be presented along a spectrum of client-side design choices. If you are building something like Gmail there’s no way to make it unobtrusive. I think it’s important for future web developers to be able to know when to choose the Unobtrusive JavaScript pattern and when they need to move towards more of a single-page application (SPA) design.
* I’d have a section on creating maintainable JavaScript code. This would include doing object oriented programing in JavaScript using prototype inheritance.
* It’s also pretty standard to use a JavaScript compressor these days, whether the YUI or Dojo ones. These allow you to use liberal comments in your code without fear of script size, especially important as client-side coding projects have gotten larger the last few years.

Perhaps much of the above material should be a part of a DOM Scripting 2 module.

Posted: 16 March 2009 07:06 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-02-26
BradNeuberg - 16 March 2009 06:51 PM

Hi Lars. Here’s my feedback:

* I’m surprised to see no mention of XMLHttpRequest in the DOM Scripting 1 curriculum. This is a defacto standard at this point and is what is behind the resurgence in JavaScript.
* No mention of Ajax and architectural patterns behind it? I’m surprised.

It is there. Take another look at the competency table!

BradNeuberg - 16 March 2009 06:51 PM

——

Perhaps much of the above material should be a part of a DOM Scripting 2 module.

Yes, that’s the plan. After all DOM Scripting 1 is about foundations.

Thanks for the feedback!