Guidelines for Faculty Teaching in New-Media Arts
Posted: 20 April 2009 10:25 PM   Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-03-08

Has anyone else read these guidelines by the College Art Association?

What are your thoughts?

Posted: 20 May 2009 06:07 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-05-20

The guidelines point out the problems educators have with technology that won’t stand still and a liberal arts mindset that resists reality.
I teach graphic design at a Community College and our mission is to train students for entry-level jobs. We rely heavily on our industry advisers to keep our skill sets current. While we may grouse about our bureaucracy, we are extremely lucky to have the flexibility to teach students skills that are relevant, with the support of the college. We don’t have the “make Art” mandates found in many Universities, and I am grateful for that.

It struck me how dated the paper seems in its emphasis on conference attendance as the key to faculty development. I have been enjoying the panels from the latest SXSW on my iPod.

Conferences are fun, but fleeting; and our slashed budgets no longer support them. Over the past few years I have been listening to podcasts of conference panel discussions and web designers, such a Boagworld. This is such an amazing resource! The tools we need to educate ourselves are freely available on iTunes, blogs, and the Web. I can find answers and opinions on any subject, with the candid insights you don’t find in formally published reference books. And, unlike a conference, I can listen to a great discussion over and over (while I mow the lawn.)

Now that WaSP Interact has launched, things should really get interesting. I look forward to it growing into a open-source authority that can be shared between industry, instructors, students, and administrators to raise our skill levels and keep us honest.