Translation and internationalisation guidelines
Posted: 11 May 2009 11:08 AM   Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-04-17

Below are some basics guidelines for translating InterAct. Volunteers are organised into groups by country and have members from both within and outside ILG. If you are interested in helping out contact ILG at: ilg-info at webstandards dot org.

We are open to suggestions and ideas and expect that each country group will find their own way to manage the process. Feel free to share ideas and ask questions below.

Translator teams

All translators are listed by country groups rather than language so we can ensure appropriate localization. It’s advised that at least one member of each group is familiar with the education system of that country so they can oversee localisation. Also feel free to ask among your network for further volunteers.

Team management and communication

It is up to each group how they communicate, organize and share the work however we recommend general discussions around translating InterAct should go in the Interact Forums.

Wiki

We plan to house translations on a wiki. This is currently being put together and once done will be publicised in this forum so don’t forget to check back for updates.

Priority order for translation

What order InterAct is translated is at the discretion of the group however we suggest that modules are done in a chronological order.

Before starting we suggest that a glossary is created of key terms, citation styles and nomenclature (see “Localisation” below).

We will need to be careful about how we localize content so that it accurately accommodates the education system for each country. Things each team may need to look at and agree on:

* Glossary
* Competencies
* Citation styles (the USA use MLA, what should be used in your country)
* General nomenclature that might be strange in other languages

If no one on the team has a background in education it may be worth asking a local education expert to help localize translated content.

Posted: 11 May 2009 11:31 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-11

I am going to get some translators from Sri Lanka to get this done.

Posted: 11 May 2009 11:37 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-04-17

Wonderful Chamara,  I’m just in the process of dropping you an email now, thank you!

Posted: 11 May 2009 11:53 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-11

I am going to put a small blog post on this as well.

Posted: 11 May 2009 02:08 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-04-17

Thanks again Chamara the more blog posts and buzz we can get the more volunteers we’ll recruit and hopefully we’ll get the job done quicker. Everyone feel free to promote this via your blogs, Twitter, or whatever your networks are. Just point people back here then I can put them in touch with the relevant translation teams.

Posted: 26 August 2009 03:41 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-08-26

I will try to put a German Translator Team if you need it.

Posted: 26 August 2009 03:54 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-04-17

Hi Jeremy -thanks so much for the offer. We actually already have a German team up working n localisations but I’m sure your help would be appreciated. If interested then email me at ihenix at gmail dot com and I’ll put you in touch with them.

Henny

Posted: 27 August 2009 08:32 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-08-26

Great to hear that Henny.

Posted: 20 October 2009 08:04 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-20

do you need some help from southeast asia, I’m from Philippines? I can help you translating some.